Monday, October 17, 2011

A Prayer Flag for Protection.


Hello.
My name is Deborah O'Hare and this is my first post on The Prayer Flag Project. With that in mind I hope you will indulge me in a bit of selfishness with my first flags.

I have made these for myself and my family, for Protection, after having experienced not one, but two house fires within eight months this year.  


Buddist umbrella of protection

The first was a shed fire, but the whole back of the house was badly damaged from the heat of the flames.


The back

The second was a kitchen fire back in August, and as I write this I am still without a kitchen, eagerly awaiting the fitters to come along and put in a new one.

Woven Strips
I don't tell you this to promote sympathy. No-one was hurt and I count my blessings.
But I would be lying if I tried to deny how unsettling the whole experience has been.

Protective Celtic Knot

"Amddiffynion"-Welsh for Protection

So these are my flags, and my attempt to protect us from anything else the Universe might be planning to throw at us!



You will find me living in the UK on the South Wales coast, with my husband, two teenagers and a dog named Rosie!
I blog at thebluehare and Quilt Routes and I would love it if you came for a visit.
I am thrilled to have been asked to contribute to this great project.
See you again soon!

3 comments:

  1. These are absolutely beautiful, Deborah, and I hope that they really do bring you the protection that you need. I love the colors as they dance in front of the blue wall. Truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful the way this prayer flag project has taken off. So many people are making beautiful and meaningful flags, including these by Deborah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. after your comment on my blog i am now a total fan of your fabric creations. i don't know if you know but fabric art is my passion and i am contantly creating. i can't wait to make my own prayer flag. what a thrill to have found your blogs.

    ReplyDelete