Thursday, June 23, 2011

Project Overview

The idea of making a series of Prayer Flags has long been on my mind. The Prayer Flag Project began with an inspiration…

Prayer Flags are part of the ancient Buddhist tradition.  My family has several strings hanging in our home... not because we are Buddhist or even know what the writing or symbols upon the colored fabrics mean, but because they are beautiful and a reverent reminder that our prayers are heard and answered.  In a nutshell, it is believed that the prayers on the flags are lifted to God and spread throughout the universe as they flutter in the wind.  Everyone who is touched by that wind, is touched by the prayers.  The wind spreads the prayers through the world, extending happiness, good will, and peace.  What a wonderful concept. 

I have made versions of these textiles for several years.  My church has hung them in our sanctuary, complete with the prayers of little children asking for Peace on Earth and for the Hungry to be fed.  My most recent flags were made several years ago, as my friend Suzanne lay dying, and were strung above her bed.  Those were the hardest to make, but the most heart felt.
Suzanne's flags still hang above her bed...

I was recently inspired again upon reading a blog post by Nina Lise Moen (May 30th) about her flags that hang outside her home in Norway.  Those have gained beauty as they wave in the breeze and send a message of hope, health and healing.

In June of 2011 I started a new project - The Prayer Flag Project- with a new flag each day.  Each flag is made in less than an hour, then hung outside for a while, its word and sentiment dissolving into the wind and being spread to all whom the wind touches.  They are a living, breathing, kinetic journal of June.  Those flags are documented in my personal blog.

The Prayer Flag Project...  Join me, if you'd like.

I am looking for artists to participate in this project.   The process is simple:  Just make a flag with your prayer as its theme, and hang it in the breeze for a while.  You don’t need to make a flag a day, but you could if you wanted to. Someday I would like to collect as many flags as possible to hang in an exhibition, and that would likely be an outside venue.    I have created a group on Flickr for the photos (aptly named “Prayer Flag Project” – anyone can join), and this blog will be used for posting the group's work.

To Join The Group:  
1.  Email me at vdenegre@yahoo.com
2.  Make a flag and hang it... take a photo, then send to me along with an artist's statement, prayer, or words to include on the post.  I will post flags on this blog as I receive them.
3.  "Follow" this blog so you can "pray along" with the other artists (optional).
4.  Post your flag on the flickr group linked above (optional).

Together we can make a difference in the world as our prayers are flown and shared with others...  Join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment