Saturday, December 31, 2011

Tibetan Prayer Flags


prayer flag #19 Grounded
Flag # 19: Grounded   by Jane LaFazio

Jane LaFazio here. Recently, I was doing some research on prayer flags, and learned that the commercial prayer flags I'd purchased and hung outside were always in the same 5 colors, hung in the same sequence. A little more research informed me that the colors represent the 5 basic elements and should be hung in order. From left to right: blue signifies space, white air, red fire, green water, and yellow earth.
commercial prayer flags

This inspired me to use to create new flags from the old. 

I stitched the flags to a muslin 5x11" (allowing for the 3" hem in the back)
I machine-stitched the traditional meaning on each flag.






Now, like I did with the 'grounded' flag, I'll create a flag based on the traditional element, but that speaks to me. I'll keep you posted!
Please, join the Prayer Flag Project. Click "How to Participate" to find out how.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you,Jane, for sharing your flags and this site. I didn't know of this before and so glad find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, Jane. I had wanted to use the flags in my own work on some level, but was really hesitant, because I wanted to make sure that I did not break any religious custom. I really like how yours reflect the sacred intent of the original meaning, and keep the flag intact. They SHOULD be included in the project, and you incorporated them in a beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea and a great education. Thanks for telling us a little more about these interesting flags.

    ReplyDelete